Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Living abroad

A few times i try to finish up this post, but it keep on delaying. Whatever written below, was supposed to be post last week.

Last month, my hubby received a job offer based in Saudi. Riyadh to be exact. I dunno how to react when he told me about it. Of course I knew he went for the interview, and I even prayed for his success but, deep down my heart, I feel horrified.

A lot of things came up to my mind. I can’t sleep well that night. Should I stay or should I follow? And the biggest headache is I have to quit my job! Oh no, I love my job. Though I’ve been complaining my jobs sometimes, but I feel so sayang to quit la.

The past 2-3 weeks, I started to compile information on Riyadh, ie: the culture, education, lifestyle, shopping, house etc.

I posted out one question in a forum called expatinsaudi, nasib baik ada yang sudi me- reply. Since then, I and ‘Siti’ selalu la ber emel-emel. Siti dah stay sana for 4 years. Banyak info I dapat from her. Thanks a lot, Siti.

Kat sana, women are not allowed to drive. Most of the places, including Mc Donald pun men and women have to be separated. But, if I’m not mistaken, ada area yang disediakan untuk family.

Since my husband dapat housing allowance, we thinking of getting a stay in a compound. Compound ni just for expats sahaja. Orang Arab tak boleh masuk. Price of compounds, range between SAR 60,000 to SAR 220,000 per year. Mahal, with just a 2 bedroom apartment, kena bayar lebih kurang RM 5,000 sebulan. Dalam compound ni, ada banyak facilities such as laundry, mini mart, nursery, playground, swimming pool and etc. The price depends on the facilities yang ada dalam compound. Ada juga yang sediakan shopping bus. Dalam compound juga, attire kita bebas. You can wear your normal clothes whereas bila keluar from compound, it is a must to wear abaya (jubah hitam).

Attire is not an issue to me. I wouldn’t mind to wear abaya and headscarf. I pernah study kat International Islamic University, so I’m sure the environment are pretty same. I think I can easily adapt to the culture there compared to my husband. With his chinese looking look, sure kena stare aje nanti. Dahla mamat ni jenis yang suka pakai short aja, macam apek. Very the selekeh ! He would have tougher time to adjust himself.

To be continue..

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails